Step 1: Create an AccountGo to www.lotro.com and take a look at the right panel. You'll either see the Play Free Now or Download Now widget. If you see Download Now, click the "create your Turbine game account" link at the bottom.
- Fill in the new account form
- Click the Get Started button (be patient while it processes!)
- Check your email for confirmation.
Having trouble with this step? Some possible solutions:
- Do a deep refresh (Ctl-F5). They been fixing the site as they go and you may have an old (bad) one cached.
- You may have to give it a new email address if your regular one was consumed in a failed attempt. Grab a freebie from mail.google.com or mail.yahoo.com
- If you have successfully created one account and want to create another, you'll need to clear cookies or use a different browser to see this form again.
Step 2: Download the Clientwww.lotro.com should show your download options. If you have a beefy gaming PC, consider the high-res client, otherwise the standard client is fine.
Having trouble with this step?
- The LOTRO client is a big one. No progressive download here, unfortunately. See below for some suggested reading during the download.
- Having technical issues with the download? Visit this page for more information.
Step 3: Choose a Server, Class and RaceWhile the client downloads, you have a great opportunity to read about server, class and race choices, so when you finally face the character creation screen, you'll have some ideas where to start.
- Choosing a Server
- Choosing a Class, Part 1: Soloing
- Choosing a Class, Part 2: Grouping
- Winning Race & Class Combos
Step 4: More Reading to Pass the Download TimeThis step is optional, but more reading you can do to get ready for your first moments in game. We recommend you print the Quick Start Manual, as the LOTRO website has been slammed and can be slow to respond.
Some more articles of interest to new players: