Make LOTRO Gold by Chest Running
An easy way to make gold is to loot chests. Unless the area is quite large, you'll probably want to kill mobs for additional loot while you wait for the chests to respawn. The good news is that the mobs around chests usually drop coin too. But there are a couple of areas with enough chests to make chest running worthwhile.
To be an effective chest runner, you need two things. First, the highest level mob in an area must be at least 7 levels below you, i.e. "grey", since you won't be as productive if you stop to fight. Second, it helps to set up your UI so you can quickly find chests,
move to them and loot them.
First, you need a Follow macro if you don't already have one.
Next, setup your key mappings. You'll want to choose 3 keys you aren't already using that are close to one another and easy to press while moving. The sequence will be "Select Nearest Item" (repeated until you find a chest), "Follow", (dismount if mounted), "Use Selection".
- Identity an available slot on your quickslot bars. You'll need to figure out the number of the slot. Quickslot bar 1 has slots 1-12, quickslot bar 2 has 13-24 and so on.
- Enter this command: "/shortcut XX /follow", where XX is the quickslot number you identified in step 1.
- Go to Options, Key Mappings.
- Under Selection, find "Select Nearest Item". This will be the first key press in your chest running sequence. If the current assignment is not easy to use, reassign it.
- Under Quickslots and find the number you assigned to Follow. This will be the second key press in your chest running sequence. If the current assignment is not easy to use, reassign it.
- Under Miscellaneous, find "Use Selection". This will be the third key press in your chest running sequence. If the current assignment is not easy to use, reassign it.
Maethad and Grishbalt
Next head over to Grishbalt. This is a pretty small area with several spots the chests can be, so ride it all, constantly pressing your Select Nearest Item Key. You should find 2-3 chests total. Exit Grishbalt and head back to Maethad to rinse and repeat.
To sell head back to Gabilshathur or shoot over to Myrkworth, which is a little closer. Between 26-29 silver per chest and sellable loot, you should be making about a gold per hour if you work steadily.
Maethad/Grishbalt, but you can still make about 700 silver per hour here. A good alternative if the other area is camped.